Laura's Convertible Mittens
















One day I was sitting at work and my friend Laura brought in a very lonely mitten. She asked if I could make her a new pair like her beloved mitten and told me how much she loved it and how sad she was that she lost its match. Of course I couldn't say no... and so the project began. I started looking up patterns on Raverly and found a great one called Urban Necessity. (Ravelry link)

I followed the pattern exactly up to making the mitten cap. For the cap I changed how I worked the decreases. Since I didn't want to do the cabled design, I knitted a flat pattern in stockinette and moved the decreases to the edges of the cap. Once the cap reached 2.5 inches I started decreasing. To decrease I k2tog at the beginning and end of each side. I also found it was easier for me to do by having each side on a single dpn (2 dpn total) this also helped to not leave a gap in my stitches between needles. The tops of the caps turned out more angled, but once there are on they round out nicely. More pictures on Flickr.

Its really a great pattern. The first pair is a little time consuming, but now that I have the under my belt I plan on making a few more pairs. Once for me and maybe a few for Christmas gifts. Enjoy.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments